- 1 lb dry pinto beans ( wash and rinse clean)
- 2 strips thick cut hickory smoked bacon (cut into 1 inch pieces)
- 1 medium onion (diced into ½ inch pieces)
- 2 T onion powder
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- 2 tsp kosher salt
- 1 can diced tomatoes with liquid - 14.5oz
- 1 can diced green chilis - 7 oz
- 1 can chicken stock - 14.5 oz
In a saucepan over medium heat, render bacon until slightly crisp; remove and drain on a clean paper towel. Add onion to the bacon drippings and sauté until onions become tender and translucent (do not brown). Add bacon and onion together and place in a mixing bowl for later use.
- Add to a stock pot: pinto beans, chicken stock, water to cover the dry beans (3 inches over the top of the beans), onion powder, garlic powder, black pepper, Kosher salt, diced tomatoes, diced green chilis, bacon and sautéed onions.
- Cover and bring to a simmer on medium heat for about 3 or 4 hours or until the beans are tender. Remember to stir and check the liquid level, add water to maintain cooking liquid level and stir the beans every ½ hour.
- When cooking time has been completed, taste and adjust seasoning to your desired taste (more salt or pepper) or you can add salsa or hot sauce to spice up the heat!